Here in Central Texas, we have seen our fair share of hurricanes and even tornados and their aftermath. With strong winds, heavy rain and large hail, our home’s roofs can get damaged. When the storm is over, you will surely need roof repair and we hope that you choose TM Restoration for those repairs, but you have to get through the storm first. We want to help you help you be prepared when there is an emergency with these 12 tips.
- Make a plan of evacuation
- Watch out for storm surges or flooding
- Try not to drive where there is a lot of standing water.
- Make sure that you are stocked with emergency supplies like food, water, and medicine in case you are stuck for a few days without electricity.
- Be sure to have enough flashlights and candles along with lighters and/or matches to light the candles.
- When you know that the storm is on its way, head to the gas station and fill up your car’s gas tank. You never know if you will need to drive after the storm or if the gas stations will have any gas.
- Make sure that you secure anything that can be picked up by the wind including bikes, lawn furniture, toys or tools.
- Prepare your fridge by turning it to the coldest temperature so that if the power goes out, the food will stay cold longer.
- Buy a multi-purpose tool and have it nearby.
- Make sure that you have all of your cell phones charged.
- Buy or rent a generator to prepare for a power outage.
- Check your homeowner’s warranty contract and write down contacts to call if there is any damage. You should also take pictures of any possessions that were omitted from your homeowner’s policy.
We hope that you are never in an emergency situation, but if you are, we hope that these tips help you and your family stay safe. When the storm is over, make sure to call TM Restoration for roof repair.